Standards of Conduct
Yes, I’ve been a member of various professional organizations off and on over the years, including the American Psychological Association and the like. The organization many coaches choose to belong to is called the International Coach Federation. Below are their standards of conduct, to which I hold. Please read them through to the end.
Standards of Conduct
- I will treat all clients with dignity as free and equal human beings.
- I will conduct myself in a manner that brings credit to myself, others, and the coaching profession.
- I will identify my level of competence to the best of my ability and I will not misrepresent my qualifications, expertise, or experience as a professional coach.
- I will, at the beginning of any coaching relationship, communicate clearly the terms of our agreement and the expectations of both parties.
- I will not claim or imply outcomes that I cannot guarantee.
- I will respect the confidentiality of clients’ information except as released by the client, or as required by law.
- I will obtain permission from each client before releasing their names as references.
- I will recommend different coaches and/or different resources when the client’s situation requires this.
- I will avoid conflicts of interest and will give notice of potential conflicts. I will directly address the potential conflict if I enter into working relationship with a client in addition to a coaching relationship and will specifically agree with the client on how to avoid or manage any such conflict.
- I will specifically disclose all compensation I may receive for referrals or advice given to a client and ensure the client is aware of such interest.
- I will respect the commercial aspects of agreements I make with the coaching client and the organizations which compensates me, If separate. I will only make agreements that respect all parties and I will honor my agreements.
- I will not offer professional information or advice I know to be confidential, misleading, or for which the accuracy is beyond my competence to assess.
- I will endeavor to enhance public understanding and acceptance of professional coaching.
- I will freely share my skills and practices to other interested coaches I the profession for the purpose of increasing our mutual level of knowledge and competence.
- I will give full acknowledgement to the work and contributions of others.
- I will respect copyrights, trademarks and intellectual property rights and comply with laws and my agreements concerning these rights.
- I will use the ICF definition of coaching as a basis of my coaching practice.
- I will inform my clients of my agreement to follow the Standards of Conduct of the ICF.
As a professional coach, I uphold the above International Coach Federation Standards of Conduct in my life and in my practice.
Disclaimer and Indemnification
The client understands that these sessions are consultative in nature and that any actions and decisions made by the client are solely the responsibility of the client. The coach shall in no way be held liable or responsible for any actions taken, or not taken, by the client. The coach makes no guarantees or warranties, expressed or implied, about any results to be achieved. By choosing to use my services, you agree to indemnify and hold me harmless from the results of any coaching advice, counsel, or suggestions I offer you.